Fun Facts about Father's Day
Father’s Day - always celebrated on the third Sunday in June - is a wonderful holiday all about dads. In honor of the occasion, take a look at some interesting facts about Father’s Day:
- The U.S. Census Bureau estimates that there are over 70 million fathers across the nation.
- Father’s Day was first celebrated in 1910 by Sonora Dodd who wanted a special day to honor her father, a Civil War veteran who raised his six kids by himself. In 1972, President Richard Nixon signed the law that made Father’s Day an official holiday.
- There are more phone calls made in the U.S. on Mother’s Day than on Father’s Day. However, the percentage of collect calls on Father’s Day is much higher. According to Snopes.com, Father’s Day is actually the busiest day of the year for collect calls!
- Father’s Day is the fourth most popular occasion for sending greeting cards, after Christmas, Valentine’s Day and Mother’s Day. Send your dad a free Father’s Day eCard today!
- The tie is traditionally the most popular Father’s Day gift. Want to break tradition? Check out ideas for homemade Father’s Day gifts, Father’s Day gift baskets, and Father’s Day crafts the kids can make for dad.
How do you plan to celebrate Father’s Day? If you’re still trying to figure out what to do, consider a family cookout, Father’s Day brunch, or trip to the beach. There’s still time to send Father’s Day invites to your family. Start planning!
Sign up and we'll send more inspiration straight to you.Sign up now